Thursday, November 17, 2005

 

For You, A Thousand Times Over


I have just finished reading Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner. And, I must say this was one of the best books I have read in a very long time.

I started reading it last week on the plane ride to LA. My colleagues chuckled at me when I sobbed before even reaching page twenty, they knew I would be a crying, weeping wreck by the end of the novel. They were right.

The Kite Runner is a story of love, guilt, and redemption set against the backdrop of modern Afghanistan. On the first page there is a dedication which reads "...to the children of Afghanistan."
And with that the heart break of reality begins.

Read it. Discuss.

Comments:
I was thinking about reading it because I saw at least 324 people reading it on the train last week.
 
God, I loved it, too, X. It's a beautiful and tragic story with a historic sweep, but also a story simply told in plain language. I think that makes it more heartbreaking at times. You don't feel manipulated, you just feel.
 
P.S. Just reading your subject line has me verklempt. Kills me.

For you, a thousand times over....
 
I bought it on a plane ride up to Washington a few months back. It's a beautiful book. Sometimes those airport bookstores have a good one hidden among the crap.
The way Amir acts after the kite tournament just breaks my heart. The way he treats Hassan and Ali...
 
Oh i'll have to check it out.
 
a friend just bought it for me for christmas...i'll have to put it in my book queue i guess as everyone who reads it seems to gush over it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?